Datavet Veterinary Software Networking
Determine which will be the main post that will contain the sharing data
(Called "Server or server in the examples cited below)
- Perform physical networking of devices.
(If the main "Server" station is a passive computer, see the end of this page: Special case
It is advisable to define logical connections by their "UNC" name. (Ex "\\Server\Datavet" is better than "Z:\datavet")
- Datavet uses few resources, any computer can act as a server, even if it is used by another person.
- Only licensed client workstations are eligible for networking. (Exception; see end of page)
- It is preferable to have a "server" computer with at least 4 MB of RAM (recommended 8 MB).
- The server station being often active, a recent station (less than 4 years old) is preferable.
- The "Server" station must always be started first and turned off last
Server Station: Datavet Data Sharing
Purpose: Share the Datavet directory located on your server computer.
Right click on the Datavet directory that you created on the server computer (create it if it does not exist)
Click on the submenus " -> Grant access to -> Specific people -> select, or add: "everyone"
Authorization level: "Read / Write".
At this stage, test on the client workstations that the Datavet directory is accessible.
On Client Computers, Configure Datavet.
For each computer to be inserted into the network:
Position yourself on the main datavet form, then click on "Survival zone"
If you have enabled security, please login with "Admin" username first.
Then fill in the location of the database files located on your server by clicking on the icon at the end of each line corresponding to the databases you wish to share.
Reminder: In the Database Location Management list, network only the following databases:
- Dv_Be.accdb (Main Database, Medical, Billing, and Customer Data)) ,
- Dv_Ag.accdb (Calendar),
- Dv_Pr.accdb (Application Settings)
- Dv_Ca.accdb (Counter billing)
- Dv_Lg.accdb (Security)
You can also share any attachments saved by each user.
(Please note that certain documents require confidentiality).
- Image file directory location (often used to save X-rays
- Document Storage Location (Lab Report)
- Storage location for attachments (e.g. invoices for expense reports, parking tickets, hotels, restaurants, etc.)
Above all, do not modify the locations of:
- System boot file (AA.accdb)"
- Language files"
Typical example below: (The computer name, "Server" in this example, indicates the name of the computer containing the share data).
You can close the window and use Datavet in network..... that's all!
Special Case, License Economy:.
If your server computer is "Passive", i.e. not containing any Datavet program, you can only copy to this computer the datavet files that you want to share, without having to acquire an additional license.
Ex: on your passive "Server" computer: create a "Datavet" directory
Copy the following files into the datavet new directory:
-> Dv_Be.accdb (Data, medical and billing) ,
-> Dv_Ag.accdb (Calendar),
-> Dv_Pr.accdb (Application Settings)
-> Dv_Ca.accdb (Counter billing)
-> Dv_Lg.accdb (Security)
In the Datavet directory:
Create a "Scans" folder
Create a "docs" folder
Create an "im" folder
(the names of the folders are not fixed, the main thing is that the "Client" post points to the right location.
Do not forget to then share this directory "Datavet.